The El Paso Marathon Foundation mission is to organize a first class marathon that promotes health and fitness in the community, bring tourism to the region of El Paso and provides support to local and national non-profit organizations. The El Paso Marathon currently hosts a marathon, half marathon, and a 5K race. The El Paso Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier.
Scope of Work
- Set up, manage and maintain Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube)
- Organize marathon PR/media events such as kick off parties and press conferences
- Work with the marathon’s advertising agency to develop and execute PR strategies
- Work closely with individual journalists to arrange exclusive interviews with runners with interesting stories
- Attend regular planning meetings throughout the year
- Present to board of directors as needed
- Identify public relations opportunities for the El Paso Marathon to obtain steady media coverage
- Identify cross-promotional opportunities that are mutually beneficial
- Provide post-event results to media
- Provide copy for marathon newsletters
The El Paso Marathon has grown leaps and bounds and Barracuda has enjoyed being a part of their team from 2009 to 2012. With a strong and active Facebook following, registrations for 2012 marathon doubled in size and the 2013 marathon was pacing even stronger. From the kick-off party to news coverage, Barracuda has worked with the organization to increase fans, sponsorships and participants. Work on the 2012 El Paso Marathon paid off in big numbers.
Overall, the race increased in participants by 20%. The full marathon grew by 40% and the 5k saw a 35% increase due to a promotion Barracuda arranged with the El Paso Times encouraging El Pasoans to run in their first 5k. Its Facebook page is very active and serves as the daily home base for runners looking for motivation, training tips and information about race day. On race week, the Marathon Facebook page reached over 14,360 individuals.
Barracuda also launched Twitter and Instagram accounts for the El Paso Marathon. Barracuda enjoyed working with the El Paso Marathon to relay their mission of a creating a signature event for El Paso that revolves around wellness and active living. With our help, the El Paso Marathon is becoming a nationally known and recognized race.